Ian

Sometimes when the responsibilities of spec, draft, design, purchasing &
availability and worse customer approval/sign off, manufacturing et all,
are handled by different people at split sites, a common part number
system is the only way to do it for the required paper trail.

If managed properly, it actually works better for multi user
environments or split sites and helps reduce error (auto generate
barcode checks for pick lists & reels, purchase ....).

Of course the whole system is a lot easier when managed by one person,
one part, one symbol i.e. overall responsibility at one desk.

I guess this might be straying a bit as it is more a procedures issue
than library management, but is worth considering when planning a
library structure.

I wish I still had the luxury of being able to do everything myself, I
really do, but over-complex systems are just things some of us
'unfortunates' have to live with :-(

John