At 15-03-2004 16:09, Carpenter, Dean wrote:
Hi All -

OK, this is an odd one ... Recently 99SE started insisting that I did a double-click on the mouse when starting an operation. But only for the first time.
<snip>

Phew ! What a relief !
I thought I was the only one... had worn out my trackball (again)... drank too much... was developing Parkinson's desease... was going nuts...

It happened on my system too, and started quite suddenly; no percievable link to any previous action (installed software and the likes). I'm using a M$ optical trackball.
I haven't noticed it (yet) on the various place commands, but first noticed it on the measure commands. Pehaps because it is more noticable there...

Thought it was the trackball driver, downloaded the latest stuff direct from M$: no success.
Thought it was the trackball itself, digged up the ol' trusty Logitech Marble (no wheel): no success.
Thought it was the KVM switch, wired the trackball around it: partial success.
That last one will need some clarification:
I had the weird situation (again, all of a sudden: it used to work fine) that the first trackball move after using the scrollwheel generated an 'enter'. Extremely annoying when you're near completion of a three-hour backup procedure and the only button on the screen is 'cancel'..... Well, that was solved by connecting the trackball directly to the PC.

Since I haven't really noticed it yet on the place commands I thought it might be the microswitch, but since it does not happen in any other software that cannot be.
When the schedule permits, I'll do a little digging and experimenting; but that will probably wander off into the next week.

Leo Potjewijd hardware designer Integrated Engineering B.V.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]
+31 20 4620700