It doesn't have to be a virus or spyware.

I've seen this happen on three different machines.  Two running Windows
98 and one running Windows 2000.

It appears that the shell "gets confused", usually when an application
crashes.  When this happens I suddenly wind up with two "right mouse
buttons" and at least once the left button acted as you are describing.
Usually shutting down and restarting the system resolves the problem.

You might also check what the settings are for the "pointing device" in
the control panel. Depending on your mouse driver software it could be
that it has somehow gotten set so that the left mouse button action is
the same as "double-clicking".

Since I only run Windoze for applications that really need it I haven't
encountered this problem in a long time so I don't remember all the
details.

But it is quite likely that you are seeing this OS / Shell bug rearing
its ugly head.

That said, it is still a good idea to do a thorough virus check and spy
ware check/removal for good measure.

Burt