Ian

Schematic:
Where are you working?  I want to come work for you.   I work with engineers that give
me pdf schematics from Orcad, Viewlogic,  Mentor, etc.  So a netlists are a must for
pcb design services.        I don't sweep floors, make copies, or correct your
schematic for errors but I do use the netlist to trouble shoot problems.      At the
company that I work for, and does use Protel   the engineers don't use Protel all the
same way.    In fact no two companies  are capture schematic the same way.  I wish it
were different but this my real world.    The engineers I work with use  Protel and
Orcad as a drawing tool. Heck,   I had one client that just found out he could auto
annotate instead of manually changing ref numbers.  Should have seen his face when I
showed him that trick.  Now I get schematics from him with parts re-annotated on every
revision.    Should see my face when he did that.

Netlist Import / Load  / compare or whatever it is called now
The knowledge base is out of date and does not reflect 2004 changes.  With 2004 you do
not have to create projects etc to load the netlist.    Score one for complaining.

Report:  for netlist
    All the report needs is more information  ie footprint and part type added to it.
 Actually, I  would like to see a summary of common components instead of an itemized
list, but that is  my preference.

And get rid of those redundant worthless  boxes that need checked to continue,

DXP forum:

I figure if you are reading this  and responding, then my I am being heard.  You seem
to have some good  connections.   You are a pretty shape dude with a good feel for the
future of this stuff. Unfortunately, not every engineer is ready to use all of this
capability.   Just  mention configuration control and management to most engineers and
you will get tossed out like a salad . I work with small companies, and some very
large ones.  You might be surprized how primative the design world is ...for example
simulation

Component type:
I would be willing to quiz every engineer I have worked with for the past 30 years and
99 percent would not be able to correcty answer a definition of Standard, mechanical,
graphical, NET TIE, etc. Nor would they care or even use it even if they could

Mike