Hello,

Is anyone big defender of the Protel 99SE router (except maybe Protel)? Here are some "features" I have noticed. I'm sure this is this the tip of the iceberg. Is DXP/2004 any better? I wish that instead of producing new bad products they would spend their time fixing the bad ones they've already sold us.

1. When I route my board using 4 signal layers it is unable to route 12 signals. When I give it 6 signal layers it is unable to route 24 signals. Is this backwards or what?

2. It rips up and reroutes some locked pre-routed traces.

3. In some cases it stops a trace about 1/16" from its destination pad even though there is nothing in the way, then produces a DRC error because of it.

4. It sometimes brings vias from different nets up into a no-net polygon pour, shorting them all together, then produces a DRC error because of it.

5. It sometimes lays a track from one net onto another, shorting them out, then produces a DRC error because of it.

Oh well, it still beats tape and a light table!

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell

Ray Mitchell
Engineer, Code 2732