At 03:36 PM 4/8/2004, JaMi Smith wrote:
I thought that this problem still existed in Situs, at least thru DXP PreSP3.

Has it now been fixed?

Don't ask me! What I wrote was based on reports that Situs had improved cleanup. As I stated explicitly, I haven't yet experimented with Situs.

It is sad if it hasn't been fixed. I recall writing extensively on this on the PEDA list, including outlining an algorithm for reducing those tracks. Basically, backing up the routing (i.e., eliminating a vertex in the route path) over short distances (less than one or two grids outside of the destination pad) would kill these meanders. The final track completing the route to a pad should always begin outside the pad, and it should enter the pad orthagonally to a pad edge. If the pad is circular, this reduces to a requirement that the final segment begin from a point at least the pad radius away from the pad center. All further segments are extraneous. There is no necessity that the final segment of a route be 0/45/90 (unless it is long, in which case it is a cosmetic issue). If the router knew that when it was so close to its destination, it could abandon route direction rules and finish a track with a single segment, it should be *faster* as well as avoiding the need for cleanup....