> I remember when Protel bought "NeuroRoute" from Gene Marsh (?) At the
time,
> which was not that long ago, EVERYONE was saying it, NeuroRoute, was the
> best thing since sliced bread.
>
> What happened?

Well, we found that bread is very fattening (lots of carbs)!  And unless you
eat the whole grain hippy stuff, it doesn't have much fiber.  And bread has
gotten expensive.  And it turns moldy quickly...

But seriously, folks, I like the 99SE autorouter OK.  It's fast.  I have to
tweak the design rules a lot to get the results I like.  But the fact that
it's fast lets you do a lot of tweak-and-try runs.  Don't expect to get good
results on the first attempt.  It will screw you on split planes, too.
Either don't use split planes, or check the autorouter's work very carefully
afterwards to make sure it didn't put a power via into the wrong plane or
short planes with a power via.  It will misbehave - I've seen it do that.
Work with layer bias, and try diagonal bias on some layers - it may work
better than horiz and vert bias in some cases.  On 6 layer boards, I
sometimes use 1 horiz, 1 vert, 1 45 degree right slant, and 1 45 degree left
slant layers.  As far as unrouting (or rerouting) locked tracks, the trick
is that your preroute must be 100% routed AND locked.  If it's only
partially routed, 99SE will unroute it.  If you go right up to 1 mil away
from the pad and then stop your track, that counts as a partial route to the
autorouter, and it will get ripped up.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.