From: Ray Mitchell [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Wednesday, April 07, 2004 5:28 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: [PEDA] The Protel 99SE router (router?)

Hello,

Is anyone big defender of the Protel 99SE router (except maybe
Protel)?  Here are some "features" I have noticed.  I'm sure this is this
the tip of the iceberg.  Is DXP/2004 any better?  I wish that instead of
producing new bad products they would spend their time fixing the bad ones
they've already sold us.

1.  When I route my board using 4 signal layers it is unable to route 12
signals.  When I give it 6 signal layers it is unable to route 24
signals.  Is this backwards or what?

2.  It rips up and reroutes some locked pre-routed traces.

3.  In some cases it stops a trace about 1/16" from its destination pad
even though there is nothing in the way, then produces a DRC error because
of it.

4.  It sometimes brings vias from different nets up into a no-net polygon
pour, shorting them all together, then produces a DRC error because of it.

5.  It sometimes lays a track from one net onto another, shorting them out,
then produces a DRC error because of it.

Oh well, it still beats tape and a light table!

Thanks,
Ray Mitchell

Ray Mitchell
Engineer, Code 2732