At 03:56 AM 6/30/2004, Leo Potjewijd wrote:
At 30-6-2004 00:34, Stephen Noftall wrote:
[In DXP,] Is there anyway to get hierarchal designs to work when a component has 2 parts, and they go to the odd/even sub sheets? like if 1/2 of an opamp goes to sheet 1, and the other half to sheet 2. Then these repeat 8 times?

The only way I can think of is to use the two sheets as the base, then hierarchy them.

Stephen, in my experience is with 99SE there was never any problem; I just kept good track of the designators and Protel did the rest....

The was no problem in 99SE because 99SE does not have the repeat section facility of DXP. The question really is not about "hierarchical design," but about "repeat sections." I haven't used this DXP facility, but it is something new and potentially quite useful.

The idea of repeat sections is that a subsheet is repeated *exactly* (except for new reference designators). The system will also handle the PCB repetition, if I understand correctly, i.e., you can design one section and then repeat it. But this does imply identical sections. On the DXP list -- which is the best place to ask DXP questions -- there has been quite a bit of discussion of what to do with multipart components that are used across sections; the general advice seems to be to take those components out of the repeating part and place them on the higher sheet. But I don't think this is a very satisfactory solution.

My own suggestion would be to work with the true repeating section, which in the case described would include both sections of the op amp. Then this would be repeated as many times as the op amp is repeated. In this way, the repeat sections would be identical. This would then match what I would have done in 99SE: repeating sections should be identical, at least at the outset.