Tom,

There is no change. We are commissioned (volunteers of IPC) to develop the
IPC-7351 Land Pattern Calculator and create a Wizard output with direct
import into every CAD tool via IPC-2581 (neutral CAD database) import.

The members of the IPC-2581 committee consist of all the top manufacturers
and assembly shops in the world, all the assembly machine vendors, Valor and
Router Solutions and the following CAD vendors: Mentor Graphics, Cadence,
Zuken and Intercept Technologies. Altium is not on the committee and
therefore we assume that we will have to write direct interfaces for Protel
and PCAD because Altium will be the only CAD vendor that cannot import /
export IPC-2581 format.

Part of PCB Libraries responsibility is to create an IPC-7351 CAD library in
IPC-2581 format. The IPC-2581 is scheduled to start testing this fall. It
will replace Gerber Data and will directly import into all assembly pick &
place machines.

What is the IPC-2581? It's written in XML format and contains code from
ODB++ and GenCAM. It will be a neutral CAD database format with a main
purpose to drive all the manufacturing machines, but we are using it as a
neutral CAD library format.

Read more on the IPC-7351 and the IPC-2581 by downloading the technical
paper "The CAD Library of the Future" from the Technical Paper section on:
http://www.pcblibraries.com/downloads/GEN-docs.asp

Use the Power Point file to give presentations at your local User Groups or
IPC Designer Council meetings, Trade Shows or to give presentations to
fellow staff members to discuss migrating to the "One World Library"
IPC-7351 specification for the sole purpose of "Electronic Product
Development Automation".

Register to download the free IPC-7351 Navigator Wizard Demo and you'll get
a glimpse of the future. http://www.pcblibraries.com/NWiz-Demo

Tom

Tom Hausherr
PCB Libraries