I just thought I'd comment on the basic problem.

From my understanding, an import was done from PADS to Protel which moved track from an assembly layer to the silkscreen layer. Good import programs allow explicit cross-program mapping of layers, but that's another issue....

As long as there is a way to distinguish the lines, such as by width, it is not difficult at all to deal with an entire library at once. At least it was not difficult in 99SE. In DXP ... I still find myself flailing about whenever I want to do a global edit. In 99SE, I never even had to read the manual.... In DXP, I've read the manual and am still left scratching my head. It just doesn't stick. I'm sure if I did it every day, it would....

So I'll tell you what I would have done in 99SE. Just because I'm more familiar with working in PCB rather than in Library, plus there are a few extra tools available in PCB, I would probably work there. If I'm starting out with a PCB Library, I'd make a list of footprints with a Library Report, then I would massage that into Protel netlist format and use this to autoplace one of every footprint to a PCB file....

Then I'd use a global edit to change all the lines of the given width, on the silkscreen ("Top Overlay") layer, to the desired mechanical layer.

And then Make Library would be used to take all those footprints back into a Library.

However, there might be a more direct way to accomplish the task. Is there any way to move the assembly lines to a different layer in PADS? I find it hard to believe that the import would automatically take *all* track and put it on the Silkscreen layer? Perhaps it was considered, when the import was written or done, that Assembly track might belong on the Silkscreen layer. Bad decision, but at least understandable....