Further enhancements were made to the rotation/movement that is available in
the 3D Viewer -

Press down one of the following keys (either 'a', 's' or 'd' (while
left-clicking and dragging a model around)) and the model will rotate about
one of the three axes that the key is associated with  - either the Z (into
the screen), Y (up the screen) or X (across screen).

Also I think that there is a CommandLauncher for 3D something like -
SetViewingAngle??  if I remember correctly..
It should give you a warning and the parameters to use for it if you use it
incorrectly but you can set up new taskbar buttons to move a model to
(45,0,0) degrees or (60,60,0) degrees etc.
Zoom in with the mouse wheel and zoom out with the mouse wheel in the
opposite direction
Right click and drag to move the model around WITHOUT rotation..

You should be able to inter-actively select any of the items to be shown on
a full board design - either the board itself, the copper tracks, the
components, silkscreen components,  etc and get the board to re-render
itself at the same time.

With regards to the very large size of iges files - you will note, if you
load them back into DXP that they are loaded significantly faster than other
mechanical cad packages - AutoCad, and Solidworks, both took quite a while
to load test IGES exports (though solidworks was by far the worse of those
two).  So, does the problem lie with the IGES export or with the other
mechanical CAD packages? Possibly both, but the IGES export does work..  And
for cad packages, don't worry about getting all the copper tracks and
silkscreen bits - usually just the board and the components themselves are
useful enough.

Just noting again, set all your component heights and then the 3d viewer
won't have to go away and guess what heights the components are.  The
various default components in there were modified to expand to the height of
the component so it is different to the 99se style where there was no way to
make the components grow or not.

True, Neale, there are some things in Qualecad that the native viewer
doesn't have as yet, but it is the native viewer, and since people have
already paid for the 3d viewer in DXP, may as well use it :-). Let altium
know what is wrong with the 3d viewer and I'm sure they will be extremely
responsive in getting things up and it will get better :-)

Scott Jones