On 01:10 PM 11/08/2004, Dom Bragge said:
I have a connector that could be viewed as a large "U" when placed on
the board. If I want to place other components within this "U" shape
(not overlapping the physical connector but within the "bounding box")
what choices do I have:
- permanently enjoying the 20+ clearance errors? (not preferred)
- turning off clearance checking? (not preferred)
- turning off clearance checking for that one connector whilst in that
position (how?)?

Dom,

Have you got the component clearance check set to "Full Check" - Full Check does not just use the bounding box for DRC. In P2004 SP1 the Full Check mode now works with on-line DRC, not only batch DRC. Users asked for this capability not long before SP1 was released and it made it in which is nice. I assume you don't have any primitives outside the real boundary of the component, as this will stuff up Full Checks ability to slot components in corners. I regularly put 0603 and 0402 components in the corner of SOT-223 (next to the larger tab) - Full check mode works fine in this case.

If you are trying to deliberately overlap components (their primitives overlap) there is a technique that is often discussed on the DXP forum:

http://forums.altium.com/cgi-bin/showthread.asp?id=32063&list=dxp

is a link to the recent discussion - the link is not complete as there is a problem with archiving some emails. I have been asking Altium about this issue for some time now - it does tend to devalue the archive if you can't trust that all posts are archived.

The missing follow-up was that the "IsComponent" part of the rule is not needed as only components can be in a component class. Also, the missing follow-up discussed using rooms (possibly polygonal) and "component height" rule(s) to control the height of components under the stood off components.

Ian Wilson