From: Ian Middleton [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, August 12, 2004 7:35 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] tests for Pb in solder

[Big snip]

> 1) Expensive automobiles having to be scrapped prematurely because their
> ECMs quit working, and all the junkyard car ECMs don't work either, due to
> the same failure of solder joints

I think cars are exempt.

> 2) Costly equipment failures in telecom and industrial equipment.  Medical
> equipment failures resulting in possible patient injury or death, and the
> inevitable lawsuits.

Medical equipment is exempt.
Industrial monitoring and control instruments are exempt.

> 3) Disillusionment of the public when their consumer goods fail soon after
> the warranty period expires his for years ;-)

I think this was the early lead free stuff that used bismuth. Most big
Japanese manufacturers have been lead free for a year or two now. My
Panasonic TV is lead free (actually RoHS, reduction of hazardous substances)
and is over two years old. Got a feeling all electronic equipment sold in
Japan must be lead free already.

You are all confusing a two things RoHS and WEEE (Waste from Electrical and
Electronic Equipment).

Useful sites are:
http://www.envirowise.gov.uk/
http://www.dti.gov.uk/