> Most of the major Japanese manufactures have been lead free for over 3 or
4
> years, I guess there reliability is so good as you haven't even noticed
the
> difference ;-)

You're right, I haven't noticed the difference in a measly 3-4 years.  I
also haven't bought much consumer gear in the past 3-4 years.  I expect my
purchases to last a loooooong time.  I still have (and use regularly) stereo
equipment from the early 80's.  Yes, I said stereo.  That's 2.0 channel
sound, to all you multi-channel N.1 freaks.  If you look hard enough, you
can still find audio systems with fewer than 3 speakers ;-)

Now that you mention it, I'll have a look inside my Sony VCR that I bought
about 5 years ago.  The tuner and IR receiver went flaky on it about 2 years
ago.  The mechanism is still good.  Maybe it was their first lead free
experiment.  I've never had another VCR that failed in that way, the others
have been mechanical problems or just plain wear out.

I like Sony VCRs (VHS, not Beta) because they are easy to setup and program.
But it seems they've given me a reason not to buy anymore.  And I won't use
their Memory Stick, ATRAC(?) sound compression, or any devices that
incorporate them.

> I have looked into this over here (in the UK) and it seems Sony are one of
> the world leaders, they have patents all over there technology/ materials/
> processes and are not going to share it with any one :-(

Patents - that sounds like the real reason for switching to lead free.
Force everyone to license your patents, and rake in the cash.

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.
website:  www.bagotronix.com