> One last thought, several people have pointed out that certain classes of
> equipment will be exempt i.e. Military, medical etc but if all the
assemble
> companies have switched to lead free who is still going to do lead based
> assembly (and at what premium)? I know that once we have gone lead free we
> will probably never be able/ willing to go back.

"Lead-ful" is a term I've coined for lead-containing PCB assemblies.  As
opposed to "lead-free".

I think lead-ful will become a manufacturing niche.  The article that Dennis
posted a link to predicts that many shops will go out of business if they
don't change to lead-free.  However, it could go the opposite way.  Those
lead-ful shops may experience a solid market niche for all of those
automotive, industrial, and military items for which one wants to risk
failure.  It will make obtaining components more difficult, however, and
there will be entire categories of components that will not be usable in
lead-ful assemblies because they only come in lead-free versions.  For
example, want to use that nice new ARM chip in your embedded design?  Forget
it, it's available only in lead-free finish.  Want to use that cool new
20-bit audio codec?  Nope, it only comes in lead-free.

Still lead-ful and loving it...

Best regards,
Ivan Baggett
Bagotronix Inc.