My last email seemed to take over 12 hours to appear on the list, if this
one is the same its going to be a slow conversation :-o

>You're right, I haven't noticed the difference in a measly 3-4 years.

I agree with your thoughts but it does indicate that it's not a complete
disaster. I know several people with Sony TV's that are over 20 years old
and still going strong, I hope Sony (and the others) are convinced that the
change will not affect the long term reliability.

>I like Sony VCRs (VHS, not Beta) because they are easy to setup and
>program.
>But it seems they've given me a reason not to buy anymore.

Again I agree but you will find that any stuff made in Japan is now probably
lead  free and they are starting to spread, a quick search on Goggle
yesterday indicated that a couple of Sony plants in Mexico are also
completely lead free and have been for several years.

One last thought, several people have pointed out that certain classes of
equipment will be exempt i.e. Military, medical etc but if all the assemble
companies have switched to lead free who is still going to do lead based
assembly (and at what premium)? I know that once we have gone lead free we
will probably never be able/ willing to go back.

Regards,
Peter Smith

Raster Vision Ltd
Unit 1