Huh? - my experience of Matrox is that they are rock solid. As a Wintel
Technology Architect by profession, I specified them for years in actually
several tens of thousands of deployments, many of them Dual or even Quad
head.

The video driver absolutely does *not* have to 'keep up with OS patches' ...
just has to support the 'WDM' driver model that has been fixed for several
years now.

And, what on earth are you saying about the chipset having to keep up with
the OS?? - this email is being keyed on a modern AMD athlon PC, with a 5
year old Matrox G450, running XP Pro SP2. Very old 'Chipset' , very new OS.
Works fine. (runs Protel real good too)

Protel just needs a good 2D card. 3D is not a requirement, unless you want
to run games on the PC also.

Peter Moreton