I'd have to agree. 99se did and still does represent the height of Protel's EDA systems. Unfortunately 99se is a dead product. It'll be used by many of us for years and years to come but it's development has ceased and its user base will only get smaller.

I think the DXP platform could have been another pinnacle but they got carried away with the new interface or perhaps the task of merging all their EDA products under a single 'easy to use' platform was just too daunting.

Protel has a history of releasing their products prematurely then making substantial product improvements a year or more later. I doubt that any of the early users of DXP would say it wasn't a premature release. Most of us have learned to wait awhile, usually for SP2 or SP3 before making the leap. I waited for DXP 2004 which appeared to be the equivalent of sp3+. I was still disappointed.

DXP is now moving toward it's 2nd birthday and I think most of us feel its not nearly as usable or productive as its predecessor. 99se was showing its age in it's lack of many high speed design features. These and other features could have been added in DXP that would have offset the productivity loss of the new interface. We didn't get them in the original DXP release and they haven't shown up in SP1, SP2, the 2004 upgrade, or 2004 sp1. I'm loosing hope that DXP will ever offer enough bang for the buck for me to continue competing as a contractor.

A couple weeks ago one of Altium's sales staff told me to purchase the P-CAD 2004 release to get these features. I am starting to consider changing EDA platforms, but if I do I seriously doubt it would be to another Altium product.

I know that others have or are moving away from Protel. I'd be interested in hearing about the benefits and problems you discovered.

JM