From: Ian Wilson [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Tuesday, 28 September 2004 11:20 AM
To: Protel EDA Forum
Subject: Re: [PEDA] Negative Film Output

On 05:11 AM 28/09/2004, Jeff Stout said:
>How do I create "negative" film output?  And why can't Protel do this right
>out of the box?  I want to use a home PCB kit to create a simple PCB and I
>need negative film.
>
>I once heard of a method of printing to pdf then hand editing the output to
>create that effect. But nothing clicked for me when I looked at the pdf
>output a few minutes ago.

I thought PDF writers used a postscript printer driver.  I thought all
(most maybe) postscript printer drivers had the option of mirroring output
and making it negative. Look in the Advanced dialog of the printer
properties page.

If you don't have access to these settings in the PDF writer you are using,
you could try installing another postscript printer (connect it to the
FILE: device), printing to file (as a PS file) and then using Acrobat or
Ghostscript to print to transperancy.

(The mirroring is useful, depending on what layer you are printing, to
ensure the ink on the transparency is in contact with the light sensitive
copper clad. Gives significantly better edge definition.  Been more than a
decade since I last made a home brew - used to have to do it on some
security related stuff that the company owners did not want being sent out
for commercial PCB manufacture.  The camera we used was some expensive Fuji
or Xerox or something - big UV thing.  I remember that the gas lift hinges
were wearing out and the very heavy lid would come crashing down.  There
was one accident prone tech who would spend time carefully lining up the
film with the some cross hairs while leaning over the open camera - we
would hear Owww! from the dark room as the lid came crashing down on his
head.)

Ian Wilson