Hi,

The reason we use it is because we don't just develop software but also
hardware solutions.
Hardware solutions which are connected through GPRS or even RS232
connections.

GPRS is slow and in most cases you pay for the amount of data your send,
so we have to keep the packages as small as  possible.

RS232 doesn't work well with large packets, so again size is very important.

Web Services, REST, SOAP, ... they are all very verbose... to
expensive/large for our needs.

If you need data to be as small as possible, protocol buffers are a good
option.

Timothy