And of course, if you *are* happy using WCF and .NET, with all the
simplicity that provides, you can *still* use protobuf, since protobuf-net
includes a WCF hook that (if you desire) swaps-out the serializer used by
WCF. So your *existing* .NET code (bereft of any .proto definition) can
enjoy faster, more compact data transfer. Sure, it'll still be in the middle
of a WCF packet, but that may give the appropriate mix of protocol services
for your scenario.

Marc

On 25 July 2010 22:35, gsxr <scott.suz...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 10:57 pm, Tim Acheson <tim.ache...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > I generally create web services using WCF or ASP.NET MVC. I don't get
> > the point of "Protocol Buffers". Am I missing something?
> >

> <snip>
>
> > I don't need to write any code to do the serialisation, either. I just
> > define the return type of the web method in my WCF project, or define
> > an ASP.NET MVC Action that returns the object. The framework does the
> > rest.
> >
> > Also, I rarely come accross a web service that returns anything other
> > than strings, 32-bit integers and booleans. If I did, I'd probably
> > question the architecture.
>

> > Perhaps somebody could explain why I would want or need to use
> > Protocol Buffers?
>
> Your question is constrained, i.e. to WCF and .NET. The simple answer
> is "you dont need to".
>
> If your entire world is truly constrained in this way then I might
> question your
> architecture.
>
> OK, that's being flip. What I really mean is that your question might
> make PB look unsuccessful when it patently isnt. There is no
> technology
> in the .NET framework that delivers the same service across the
> languages
> and platforms that PB does.
>
> If you can pull off all your development within the WCF+.NET island
> then
> not using PB is (perhaps) an optimal decision.
>
> S.

Regards,

Marc