On Thu Jan 15 2015 at 7:01:33 AM Alex Antonov <aant...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I fully second that opinion.  We rely a lot on being able to set explicit
> defaults that are not language defaults (Java 0, "", false, etc).  It
> puzzles me to even think as to why someone might want to take that feature
> away!!!

The decision is made to make protobuf easier to implement efficiently in a
lot of other languages that we want to support and for some features like
JSON that we are going to add. I think we can all agree that default value
is a useful feature, but it's not a mandatory feature to protobuf and
creates real problems in the implementation of some languages (For example
some languages may use a simple struct to represent a protobuf message and
there isn't a way to specify default values. Or in the case of JSON, a
client might have no way to know the non-0 default values.)