Hi,

Thanks for all your work with protobuf. I am excited about the changes with
proto3 that will reduce errors (no forgetting to set has_* in nanopb, yay!)
and will make mapping into new languages much simpler, helping our interop
case a lot.

My question is: We are currently using protobuf pretty extensively and it
looks like we will not be impacted by any changes in proto3 in our proto
files (all fields being present, removal of required, default values, etc.)
Does this mean our existing proto2 applications are compatible on-the-wire
with proto3? How upwards-compatible is proto3 with proto2?

Of course I will test this as well but I was wondering if there are any
planned breakages of the wire format or if they will be compatibly phased
in.

Thanks,
Kevin