On Mon, 2015-07-13 at 23:02 +0100, Dominic Evans wrote:
> -----aconway <acon...@redhat.com> wrote: -----
> > I would like to create a separte git repo for the proton Go
> > binding.
> >
> > Go provides "go get" to grab online go source libraries, based on
> > cloning repos. The go tools assume that each go project has its own
> > repo. I have tried to make this work directly from the proton repo
> > but it is a mess and doesn't work properly.
>
> Is this just because the go code isn't at the top-level?
>
> Can't you just rename your current branch out of the way and then
> subtree the binding and push it to the go1 branch?
>
> e.g., something like...
>
> # rename old full tree branch and push it to a new location
>  git checkout -b proton-go origin/go1
>  git push origin --set-upstream proton-go
> # split out just the go binding and push it
>  git subtree split --prefix=proton-c/bindings/go -b go1
>  git checkout go1
>  git push -f origin go1
>
> `go get` will look for the go1 branch by default, so it should just
> work (tm) ?

Hah, I missed git subtree. It's not mentioned on the main git man page
in my distro (I know, I know, "what's a 'man page' grandad?")

This sounds exactly right but doesn't work for me. When I run the
subtree split my go1 branch still appears to have the full proton tree
in it. Must be doing something wrong...