After a whole bunch of heated discussion about a subject that I had no
idea was so controversial, my inclination is to stick to a very spec-
compliant and unambitious Hash serializer for 1.5.1.

Those who need more out of their serialization (proper handling of
nested hashes, arrays, etc.) can write their own serialization logic.
They're not forced to use the default.  And down the road (1.6 and
beyond) we'll try to make the whole serialization system more modular
so you can plug your own in more easily.

Sam, do you have an opinion here? I know we delayed the final release
candidate because of this very issue.

Cheers,
Andrew