Re using JSON: if you're going to do this you might as well encode it
all as JSON in the first place don't you think since that would
require extra attention on the server-side anyway? Mixing encoding
schemes, really?

I was hoping a solution that was compatible with nearly all servers
and was still robust would be possible, but the old code's features
were adequate before so it really isn't that big an issue. Either make
it support full nesting, or don't. Throwing JSON into the mix is worse
than simply not supporting nested structures, IMHO. Of course this is
assuming that form serialization is done as I proposed rather than via
Hash.toQueryString. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

Thanks for the comments,
Colin