> Actually, this should really be so general as to not even be
> specific to Element(s)... just a good old general purpose method
> will do.

While having a general purpose method would be nice, I think this is
really something that ought to act on an element.

The original use for assignId stems from a widget definition where
the designers might have assigned an ID for styling purposes to sub-
nodes of the widget. So rather than write:

        if (!node.id)
                this._myId= node.id= newUniqueId();

I found the following more convenient:

        this._myId= newUniqueId();