On 20/09/2007, Mislav Marohnić <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On 9/20/07, Les Szklanny <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> >
> > But, shouldn't have to do this or use $super(name).  The superclass
> constructor should be called automatically (as in Dojo for example).
>
> We have modeled OOP support in Prototype based on the most traditional
> inheritance model. Most of the users don't expect overridden constructors to
> be called automatically. If you want to call the superclass constructor, you
> must use $super (please don't do Foo.prototype.bar.apply anymore) - that
> also works with any other method in your classes.
>
> So, thanks for the suggestion, but we're keeping constructors this way.

If you've gone to the trouble of overriding a base/super class's
method (constructor or member function or method or whatever), then it
is your responsibility to call the overridden method if it is
required. Nothing can guess that.

Delphi uses inherited;
PHP uses parent::xxxx()
Prototype uses $super()

Different words, same meaning (more or less).

Excellent work all.

Richard

--
-----