Here is the Scriptaculous.require method ...

var Scriptaculous = {
  Version: '1.8.0',
  require: function(libraryName) {
    // inserting via DOM fails in Safari 2.0, so brute force approach
    document.write('<script type="text/javascript"
src="'+libraryName+'"><\/script>');
  },

Notice the comment? I'm not in a position to test this (I don't have Safari).

--
-----
Richard Quadling