The more I think about this, the harder I find it to justify a change
in prototype core. No other functions in prototype allow for random
ordering of params, and it may cause confusion. On top of that
javascript 1.6 stuff Andrew pointed out makes things a bit more
complicated. So, even though I still believe context should be first
and I still think it reads better it may not be worth changing. I am
happy to just modify the functions in my apps.

On the other hand, I do think I am on to something with exploring
implementation of a hierarchy aware Object.extend. At the bare minimum
I think it may be worth exploring adding a function to Enumerable that
allows you to extend it like say:

Enumerable.addMethod(myFunction)  that takes care of all the classes
that implement or extend it.

What are your thoughts? Should I kill off this thread and open a new
one?