On Feb 2, 4:07 pm, Richard Quadling <rquadl...@googlemail.com> wrote:
> 2009/2/2 Andrew Kaspick <akasp...@gmail.com>:
>

> > The dom:loaded bug is critical as far as I'm concerned and should have
> > warranted a bug fix release right away.  Lack of updates is definitely
> > turning out to be a sore spot with Prototype unfortunately.
>
> > On Mon, Feb 2, 2009 at 10:28 AM, Ryan H <ryan.holli...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> >> [snip]
>
> >> After 1.6.0.3 came out there was a blog post ("growing the community")
> >> that indicated more frequent releases were a goal:
>
> >> [snip]
>
> >> Ryan Holliday
>
> [snip]
>
> I always thought this is supposed to be a community product. It
> doesn't really feel like one.
>
> Richard.
>
> --
> -----
> Richard Quadling
> Zend Certified Engineer :http://zend.com/zce.php?c=ZEND002498&r=213474731
> "Standing on the shoulders of some very clever giants!"

Hi,

Well, Richard, as a Zend Certified Engineer, I am a fan of the Zend
framework myself, why isn't there a Prototype integration in ZF? That
could help leap foreword Prototype dev, no? Just a thought...

To the OP (and the others) :
As far as I'm concerned, and reading the spinoff newsgroup and this
one for a while now, it is clear that Prototype should simply be a
core library, and should absolutely not be bloated by extra user-
specific-cased scenarios. Therefore It is normal that, at some point,
it would lean toward reaching the end of it's logarithmic expansion,
thus having fewer releases. I would hate to see it piled with features
that do not apply to my project, at least not without being able to
"compile" a personalized version (like Mootools).

Script.aculo.us (http://script.aculo.us/) is one project to extend
Prototype.
Prototype UI (http://prototype-ui.com/) is another one (still at an
infant stage)
Prototype.js extension library (http://scripteka.com/) is another...
etc.

My point is that, to actively create a community, there should be
projects out there contributing in the growth of the library by using
it and sharing it's use back to the community. I am sure that there
are plans to improve the core, but I seriously think that it's time to
actually focus on extension projects too. Perhaps have them listed (or
even hosted) on the prototypejs.org (?)

Finally, Andrew did write an answer to that here (http://
www.prototypejs.org/2008/10/7/growing-the-community), so I assume that
after all these complaining are done, and after the migration process
is completely over, new candidates will surely be available at a more
frequent rate.

As JFK as said (paraphrased), don't ask what the community can do for
you, but what you can do for the community.

This was my humbe opinion anyway.