I disagree.  404'ing the old docs is not the correct action.  404 means "not
found", but the user is requesting a page that he (and you) know exists...
it's just not at that location any more.  Thus, a redirect is the way to go.
 I'd suggest the following

- Move the old docs somewhere they're still available, but under a different
URL.
- 301 (or 302) redirect old URLs to the new documentation as appropriate
- In the new documentation, provide a "old API docs" link to wherever you
moved the old docs to, so people can still get to them if they need to.
- Set up robots.txt file to tell search engines to ignore the old docs

- rwk