On Sat, Sep 27, 2008 at 09:49:13PM -0700, Andrew Dupont wrote:
> On Sep 27, 5:35?pm, Gregory Seidman <gsslist
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > And yet, this is a problem. Prototype should strive to be as good as
> > jQuery in terms of convenience for non-programmers. It isn't even
> > difficult. A good part of the simplicity of jQuery comes from the $()
> > function returning a "set" object that has a number of convenience
> > methods for attaching event handlers, hiding and showing, etc. to all
> > of the returned elements. I suspect that it would take very little to
> > implement the same methods and attach them to the array returned by
> > Prototype's $$() function. I'm going to work on it today.
>
> I agree that we should probably have a custom type for HTML result
> sets, but I don't subscribe to the axiom that we should necessarily
> appeal to non-programmers. Obviously we try to make things intuitive,
> but our definition of "intuitive" tends to mean "fills in blanks in
> the DOM API" or "behaves like it does in Ruby."
>
> Part of why jQuery is so popular is that it's insular and internally
> consistent, but intentionally doesn't aim to "blend in" like we do. So
> it appeals to web designers who are just getting into browser-based JS
> and don't have existing mental templates for how these things should
> be structured.
>
> In other words, I we should make Prototype as simple as possible given
> the design choices we've made.  But we shouldn't try to out-jQuery
> jQuery.

Actually, I'm not sure it matters now. See here:

http://jquery.com/blog/2008/09/28/jquery-microsoft-nokia/

Looks to me like jQuery has gained enough momentum that my time is better
spent porting the Prototype functionality I want and need to jQuery. That
makes me really unhappy, but that's how it seems to have turned out.

> Cheers,
> Andrew
--Greg