Actually, Robert, I took a closer look at your implementation.

And I figured out why it's so much faster.

You're relying on a single array of partially applied arguments whose
length you reset rather than cloning the array each time.

This actually turns out to be perfectly spec-compliant and avoids
significant memory consumption (one arg array instantiation upon
binding instead of one per call to the bound function).

I must admit this looks both very appealing... and scary at the same
time.

Thoughts anyone ?

Best,

Tobie