> What do you mean by "backwards X-browser support"?

Come on dude, really? You didn't get what I was saying there? I meant "cross
browser support, including older browsers". Even if I was wrong on the
details, I thought that phrase was fairly self explanatory... guess not.

 Just like I said, IE (including v. 6) supports `attachEvent` which
> *does* pass event object as a first argument to event listener.

Ok, so I stand corrected there. I must have needed it for methods in which I
was passing additional arguments (as stated by you guys already).

Even so, +1 for _not_ deprecating... and sorry to keep this side thread
going longer than you wanted, Tobie... I'm done now :)