> Sure, after figuring out why exceptions are disappearing, and then
> figuring out how to get around that all-encompassing exception block
> surrounding the responder.  It's a lot of digging to get reasonable
> default behavior.

Or, you know, read the documentation. ;-)

No, seriously, we'll have to agree to disagree on this.  I'm just one
counterpoint to your statement that "most people" would expect
something else.  I wouldn't.  I expected, and quickly found when I
started using Prototype's Ajax stuff, exactly what's there.  I find
the default behavior quite reasonable.