Any news on this? I myself was confused with the way Prototype seems
to be swallowing exceptions without giving the developer a clue about
it.

As Glenn, I really feel that exceptions thrown from an ajax request
should somehow be propagated upwards if no explicit onException
(analogous to a catch in my mind) is provided.

However, something tells me that the reason this is not done is due to
the way ajax requests work. After an ajax request is sent, the js
interpreter will reach the end of any global try block long before the
ajax response returns. Hence, it does not make sense to propagate any
exceptions upwards in the call stack as suggested; when the function
provided via onComplete is executed there will be no sub routines in
the call stack.

Maybe this is the reason why no exceptions are thrown: you cannot
possible wrap the onComplete function with a global try/catch block as
it is called out of "normal" context.

No matter what, I'd like to hear a clarification from someone who
understands this better than I do :)