The first ajax request was following your variable's name as a guidleline :)

$myVeryDynamicVariableIJustRecievedFromAnotherAjaxRequestThatTheDocumentCouldNotPossiblyKnowWithoutUpdatingLotsOfHiddenVariables

"Just recieved from another ajax request" (how do you intend to update the
value of the inline onclick="" from this other mystery ajax request? good
luck with that in IE)

"without updating lots of hidden variables" (good thing i used the element's
allotted internal memory and clearly have 0 "hidden variables")

My use of the element's object for storage of data is common practice, so
common that the proto-core team has added it as a standard feature of
prototype in an upcoming version:
http://www.prototypejs.org/2009/2/16/pimp-my-code-1-element-storage
...which was just a replication of jQuery's $.fn.data

I wrote that in 20 minutes... my apologies for not creating a reusable OO
structure. Which, by definition, inline handlers are considered
"procedural"  and DEFINITELY not OO.

I strongly suggest you read this article:
http://www.quirksmode.org/js/events_early.html

All of a sudden I feel like i'm having an argument about whether or not one
should use <font> tags or properly structured CSS that remains OUT of your
markup.

Just for fun, replicate my example, but with your method. I'm just curious
to see how you would accomplish what we're discussing.

Rick