  From: Rick Waldron
  To: prototype-scriptaculous@googlegroups.com
  Sent: Thursday, June 04, 2009 7:29 PM
  Subject: [Proto-Scripty] Re: Working outside loop, but not inside

  @Alex,

  I think i met all of your criteria:
  http://genevajs.com/misc/demo-ps-list-0011.php

  i left the js in the main file so you could reference. dig it.

  Rick

  On Thu, Jun 4, 2009 at 12:20 PM, Alex McAuley
<webmas...@thecarmarketplace.com> wrote:

    @Rick -- Okay here is a good one.....

    A very dynamic site where you need to pull varying variables
    -- excuse the psudeo code !! just proving its needed sometimes !!

        funciton doSomething({options}) {

        new Ajax.Updater(options.element,options.url, {

                               method:options.method,
                               evalScripts: options.evalscripts,
                            parameters: {
                                           options.parametersName:
options.params
    }
    onComplete: options.onCompleteFunction // Not sure if would work - as i've
never tried

onclick="doSomething({element:'myDiv',url:'myurl.php',evalscrips:true,parametersName:'postbody',params:'<?php

echo($myVeryDynamicVariableIJustRecievedFromAnotherAjaxRequestThatTheDocumentCouldNotPossiblyKnowWithoutUpdatingLotsOfHiddenVariables);
 ?>',onCompleteFunction:'function(){alert(\'Hi\');}'});"> </div>

    Now without inline handlers i would have to make alot of functions.. this
way i can reuse my code and just change the inputs ....

    I will state i dont do this often but sometimes it is needed as a script
cannot always get the variables it needs as some change dynamically from other
requests and outside factors

    I built an extremely dynamic Web Desktop over the last 2 years which is
alot faster than anything else out there... One of the main factors it stays
fast is the client memory is not clogged up with huge initial downloads of
functions that only get used every now and again!.

    My view is each to thier own .... If it aint broke dont fix it and if
everyone wrote code the same then the internet would be boring !!

    I would be interested to see how you would tackle problems like the one
above as i've never really discussed it with anyone before

    Regards
    Alex