Hi,
I guess that you want to fade all items with class solution (you are missing
the dot class prefix) and on the afterFinish, you want to run a function
that has as third parameter a callback function ? Because the way you had
wrote it meant that your owned function *search* returned a function to be
used after effect finished...

It would have been something like
$$('.solution').invoke('fade',({afterFinish: function() {
  search(area,
choice, Enumerable.invoke.curry("appear").bind($$('solution')) }));

But i'm afraid it won't be good : by calling invoke, you will call the fade
method on each item of your $$('.solution'), and after each fade, the search
function will be run so the appear function will be runned on all
$$(".solution") items after each search of each fade...

Am i understandable :-/ ?