Could the connector be an SHV or SMP? Those are showing up on EVDO cards.

http://www.pasternack.com/pdf/catalog/ConnectorIdentifier.pdf

Glenn LeBrasseur,  KJ7SU
gle...@twaves.org

Quoting Andrew Greenberg <and...@psas.pdx.edu>:

Hi!

Josh, Jamey and Keith got three of our D-link DWA-160 802.11abgn USB
wireless adapters to talk using 802.11a in ad-hoc mode last night.

Yay!

That officially means that we can move to the C band. Here are some
questions and action items for everyone:

## Choosing a channel (frequency)

Josh says that the adapter claims to support:

          Channel 36 : 5.18 GHz
          Channel 40 : 5.2 GHz
          Channel 44 : 5.22 GHz
          Channel 48 : 5.24 GHz
          Channel 52 : 5.26 GHz
          Channel 56 : 5.28 GHz
          Channel 60 : 5.3 GHz
          Channel 64 : 5.32 GHz
          Channel 149 : 5.745 GHz
          Channel 153 : 5.765 GHz
          Channel 157 : 5.785 GHz
          Channel 161 : 5.805 GHz
          Channel 165 : 5.825 GHz

The adapter literature claims it supports 5.15GHz to 5.35GHz and
5.725GHz to 5.825GHz. That's good, except the high end ought to be a bit
higher, like 5.83 GHz to really run in channel 165. Huh.

Glenn's 4/24/2008 email linked to the possible overlapping amateur
bands, but that old link no longer works. Glenn, given these bands
above, can you please choose us a channel?

If possible, I'd like to aim dead set in the middle of one of those two
bands, so we have room to move up or down in order to match whatever our
actual cylindrical patch antenna center point ends up being. And of
course, we like higher frequencies, so maybe aim for channel 157 (5.785
GHz)? Although the higher band has a +/- 40 MHz range while the lower
channel has a +/- 60 MHz range.

Go Glenn go.

## Figuring out the RF connector

I've never seen this kind of SMT RF connector before. It's not U.FL,
it's not MCX or MMCX. It's... something else. I've attached a picture.
Anyone know off the top of their heads?

Note that there's the exact same connector on the bottom of the board,
as well. I believe this little adapter actually has MIMO - it is an N
card after all - and the two little gold multi-sided antennas are dual
band antennas. Nifty. But I'm not sure how that will affect us; perhaps
we should use two feeds on our CPA (two "half cylinder" patches?), or we
should just terminate the unused connector.

## Next steps

- Choose a channel.
- Design a new series of CPAs.
- Make them.
- Test them in the lab.
- Make new ground antennas.
- Take them out to the gorge and test the whole lot.

and...@psas.pdx.edu  P: 503.788.1343  C: 503.708.7711