First of all, Chris, you probably shouldn't expect that people have the time to
listen to an mp3 where you start going into your preference settings. That's
just not reasonable for most people. Secondly, if you're close to clipping with
your preamps all the way down, then there's another issue here that you need to
address and I'm not sure what that is but I can assure you that no microphone's
own output signal is hot enough to hit line level without a preamp of some
sort. You clearly don't have the answer because you're searching for it and it
would take some deeper examination of what's going on to figure out your issue.
I assure you that it has absolutely zero to do with Pro Tools itself. It's
software and has no bearing on your recording volume. The problem is that
you're dealing with some stuff that you don't understand and you'll need to get
a handle on it in order to solve the problem. The quagmire is that it takes a
lot of time to understand the various aspects of the myriad of equipment and
that's why there are schools that teach audio engineering and production. Of
course, it's possible to learn this on your own but it can take quite a long
time.

Bottom line is, if you have a microphone going into an interface and nothing
else in between, there's no possible way your levels can be at -4 dB FS. I
guarantee that there's another piece of gear that's causing you to see levels
that hot. I suggest you eliminate the variables and figure the problem out that
way.

slau