One of the texts we used at Five Towns College as far back as the early 90s was
"Modern Recording Techniques" by david Miles Huber. It's at least in its
seventh edition and has always been available from RFB&D for its members. It
covers an enormous range of material. It's not light reading, of course, and
for anybody who wishes to truly reap its benefits, I'd recommend reading it
very slowly and really understand the concepts that lie within.