On Sat, Feb 15, 2014 at 5:56 AM, Marcos Caceres <w...@marcosc.com> wrote:

> tl;dr: I strongly agree (and data below shows) that installable web apps
> without offline capabilities are essentially useless.
>
> Things currently specified in the manifest are supposed to help make these
> apps less useless (as I said in the original email, they by no means give
> us "the dream" of installable web apps, just one little step closer) - even
> if we had SW tomorrow, we would still need orientation, display mode, start
> URL, etc.
>
> So yes, SW and manifest will converge... questions for us to decide on is
> when? And if appcache can see us through this transitional period to having
> SW support in browsers? I believe we can initially standardize a limited
> set of functionality, while we continue to wait for SW to come into
> fruition which could take another year or two.

SW will becoming to chrome ASAP. We're actively implementing. Jonas or
Nikhil can probably provide more Mozilla context.

My personal view is that isn't not a good user experience to offer the
affordance if the resulting system can't be trusted. That is to say, if we
plow on with V1 without a (required) offline story, I'm not sure what we've
really won. Happy for this to go to LC, but wouldn't recommend that Chrome
For Android implement.