On Feb 17, 2014 8:02 PM, "Maciej Stachowiak" <m...@apple.com> wrote:
> On Feb 16, 2014, at 2:16 AM, Marcos Caceres <mar...@marcosc.com> wrote:
>>
>> On Sunday, February 16, 2014, Alex Russell <slightly...@google.com>
wrote:

apps without offline capabilities are essentially useless.

these apps less useless (as I said in the original email, they by no means
give us "the dream" of installable web apps, just one little step closer) -
even if we had SW tomorrow, we would still need orientation, display mode,
start URL, etc.

is when? And if appcache can see us through this transitional period to
having SW support in browsers? I believe we can initially standardize a
limited set of functionality, while we continue to wait for SW to come into
fruition which could take another year or two.

>>> SW will becoming to chrome ASAP. We're actively implementing. Jonas or
Nikhil can probably provide more Mozilla context.

>> I'm also interested in the WebKit and Microsoft context. I just don't
know who to ask there. Have their been any public signals of their level of
interest in SW?

> In general I think it's a good idea and I bet many other WebKit folks do
too. We haven't yet had a chance to review thoroughly but I expect we'll
like the general principles. I personally would like to see it become an
official draft of the Working Group if it isn't already (the Publication
Status page implies not, but perhaps I have missed something). If it is
being actively implemented, it would be great to publish it as a Working
Draft also, so we can get the IPR disclosures out of the way.

> Regards,
> Maciej

Great to hear that. The standard track document is being drafted here. [1]
It'll be nicer if WebKit folks have a chance to review the ongoing work [2]
and join the iteration at this time.

[1]
http://rawgithub.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker/master/spec/service_worker/index.html
[2] https://github.com/slightlyoff/ServiceWorker