On 2018-07-12 16:57, Guido van Rossum wrote:
> Now that PEP 572 is done, I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for
> a PEP and find that so many people despise my decisions.
>
> I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process. I'll
> still be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be
> available to mentor people -- possibly more available. But I'm basically
> giving myself a permanent vacation from being BDFL, and you all will be
> on your own.
>
> After all that's eventually going to happen regardless -- there's still
> that bus lurking around the corner, and I'm not getting younger... (I'll
> spare you the list of medical issues.)
>
> I am not going to appoint a successor.
>
> So what are you all going to do? Create a democracy? Anarchy? A
> dictatorship? A federation?

Thanks for being our beloved BDFL for so many years!

The mail doesn't come to an suprise, although I didn't think it would
hit my inbox this year or next year. I've been pondering about possible
succession for you for a while. In my opinion we need some trusted
entity to have final say. Otherwise we are going to waste^H^H^H^H^H
spend too much time in bike shedding. But I don't see one clear person
to take your place as BDFL.

How about a form of presbyterian polity in the form of a triumvirate or
quintumvirate? (For those with a lucky childhood that didn't involve
Latin and Greek: ruling of elders with three or five powerful
individuals). It would spread the load and responsibilities between
multiple core devs.

I would consider (in alphabetical order) Barry, Brett, Mariatta, Mark,
Nick, or Victor as potential members. Each persons has been a core dev
for a long time and would brings a unique perspective into the
quintumvirate. For example Mark Shannon has an academic background in
language design.

Regards,
Christian