Hi,

> Now that PEP 572 is done, I don't ever want to have to fight so hard for a
> PEP and find that so many people despise my decisions.

Thank you for having solved the long standing issue of the PEP 572:
taking a decision was the only way to stop the flood of emails on
mailing lists (python-dev for the latest one)!

I'm sure that it was super hard and painful to take a decision on the
PEP, especially the most unpopular decision... approving it! I'm not
sure how it happened, but I started to like the new syntax :-)

> I would like to remove myself entirely from the decision process. I'll still
> be there for a while as an ordinary core dev, and I'll still be available to
> mentor people -- possibly more available. But I'm basically giving myself a
> permanent vacation from being BDFL, and you all will be on your own.

Wow! That's huge! One day, Larry Hastings told me that Python is your
project ("toy"? I don't recall), but sometimes you let us to play with
it :-) Thank you for having let us to play with it! Thank you for your
25 years of service as a BDFL!

> I am not going to appoint a successor.
>
> So what are you all going to do? Create a democracy? Anarchy? A
> dictatorship? A federation?
>
> The decisions that most matter are probably
> - How are PEPs decided
> - How are new core devs inducted

For PEPs, I already told you in private about the PHP process to take
a decision on a RFC: vote where the majority wins. I like that. The
vote is reserved to core developers. I would like to experiment that
in Python. I expect that only some core developers would vote
depending on the PEP, since we are no experts in everything. For
example, I'm not following anything about distutils and I'm happy that
Nick Coghlan and now Paul Moore handle these PEPs!

https://twitter.com/ncoghlan_dev/status/1015420826177265665

Nick Coghlan‏: "End of an era: after ~5 years, I decided that it's
time to hand over the responsibilities of default Python packaging
interoperability PEP approval. Paul Moore has graciously agreed to
take on that task:
https://mail.python.org/mm3/archives/list/distutils-...@python.org/thread/QT7SKORCF6OKWO3OVP5KO6XNGU2AR6TU/
"

I'm not sure what to do in case of equal number of votes. Maybe we
need a dictator per PEP. Or at least per area of the code :-) We
already have kind of experts per area.

> I'll still be here, but I'm trying to let you all figure something out for
> yourselves. I'm tired, and need a very long break.

A well deserved break ;-)

Victor