I think it would be worth studying the governance structure (*) of a
bunch of open source projects picked according to a set of criteria:

- major project in # of users and contributors
- non BDFL-governed
- mostly volunteer-driven
- with an established decision process for major enhancements

(*) (e.g. as an informational PEP)

Regards

Antoine.