On Mon, 20 Apr 2020 19:21:21 -0600
Eric Snow <ericsnowcurren...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Honest question: how many C extensions have process-global state that
> will cause problems under subinterpreters?  In other words, how many
> already break in mod_wsgi?

A slightly tricky question is what happens if a PyObject survives
longer than the subinterpreter that created it.

For example, in PyArrow, we allow passing a Python buffer-like object
as a C++ buffer to C++ APIs.  The C++ buffer could conceivably be kept
around by C++ code for some time.  When the C++ buffer is destroyed,
Py_DECREF() is called on the Python object (I figure that we would have
to switch to the future interpreter-aware PyGILState API -- when will
it be available?).  But what happens if the interpreter which created
the Python object is already destroyed at this point?

Regards

Antoine.